My past experience with this sort of deep diving into my thought processes for a class and public discussion haven’t fared so well. I used to take everything personally and even let my emotions get involved. But, as I have since learned and Dr. Armstrong as fully explained, things don’t have to get personally emotional. My opinions are important for the development of others, and I can’t be told that I am wrong about my opinions. And sometimes, my opinions and insight are quite different from the others that we hear about (just imagine the ones that we don’t hear about!). Well, regardless, I simply enjoy listening to others talk about these discussions as well as adding my sense when it hasn’t been accounted for.
The most challenging part for me is trying to apply everything to my own life outside of class. Especially when I try to advise or make recommendations to others, I find that sometimes there just isn’t any great way to do it unless you just dive into it. With myself, it’s just a matter of dissecting my character and possible even discussing matters with my “friend” in order to make the best use out of the change. With others (especially when they have no care to know or keep philosophy in mind!) you have to be wary of ruining any bonds by the way you present them with the vital life-changing information. It’s so much easier with my true friend than with any other person in the world to do this! And that point also makes it so frustrating, because you know that most other people have the same problems, but they are just unaware of how to change the person or even that they can! In fact, the other night, a friend of my “friend” said to a mutual “friend” of ours, “..and you and I both know that you CAN’T change anybody!” AHHH!!! The close-mindedness is what is frustrating in this situation since we all know that is NEVER the case (just a matter of HOW to do it) and also since this guy is soo hard-headed about everything.
Anyway, so I guess that was my ventilation about that. Since it is late and I have surpassed the required amount of words, I will briefly summarize the remaining questions. I LOVE applying knowledge to a subject, or even making a theoretical situation. I guess it is mainly because I’m a visual person. (Having photographic memory – whatever this is called) So I like to make a picture in my mind of what is discussed, and is much easier if there is a situation to encounter in my mind’s eye. As for the resonation point, I must say that I am much better at discussing points after I have developed my own ideas rather than trying to figure everything out for myself. Basically, if I have trouble, I talk to Evans and we can usually figure things out together (he explains things I don’t get from the readings!). And so, I must retire. I do have to say that I made a huge error today in thinking that the movie viewing was tonight! Ahhh – must rest!
The post seems to be fine - but yes, copying from Word can sometimes cause small glitches, although I haven't had trouble recently. And I very much hope that you get to see the movie. It touches on what you talk about here, insofar as the question of whether people can change/be changed is at play. It's an old question, but moral theories generally tend to assume that people can change. The perfectionist would say that the change is the emergence of a better, truer self, so that one could say that, at a deeper level, we don't change, but we might be hidden from ourselves, and as we get to know ourselves better, we outwardly change in response to the discovery.
My past experience with this sort of deep diving into my thought processes for a class and public discussion haven’t fared so well. I used to take everything personally and even let my emotions get involved. But, as I have since learned and Dr. Armstrong as fully explained, things don’t have to get personally emotional. My opinions are important for the development of others, and I can’t be told that I am wrong about my opinions. And sometimes, my opinions and insight are quite different from the others that we hear about (just imagine the ones that we don’t hear about!). Well, regardless, I simply enjoy listening to others talk about these discussions as well as adding my sense when it hasn’t been accounted for.
ReplyDeleteThe most challenging part for me is trying to apply everything to my own life outside of class. Especially when I try to advise or make recommendations to others, I find that sometimes there just isn’t any great way to do it unless you just dive into it. With myself, it’s just a matter of dissecting my character and possible even discussing matters with my “friend” in order to make the best use out of the change. With others (especially when they have no care to know or keep philosophy in mind!) you have to be wary of ruining any bonds by the way you present them with the vital life-changing information. It’s so much easier with my true friend than with any other person in the world to do this! And that point also makes it so frustrating, because you know that most other people have the same problems, but they are just unaware of how to change the person or even that they can! In fact, the other night, a friend of my “friend” said to a mutual “friend” of ours, “..and you and I both know that you CAN’T change anybody!” AHHH!!! The close-mindedness is what is frustrating in this situation since we all know that is NEVER the case (just a matter of HOW to do it) and also since this guy is soo hard-headed about everything.
Anyway, so I guess that was my ventilation about that. Since it is late and I have surpassed the required amount of words, I will briefly summarize the remaining questions. I LOVE applying knowledge to a subject, or even making a theoretical situation. I guess it is mainly because I’m a visual person. (Having photographic memory – whatever this is called) So I like to make a picture in my mind of what is discussed, and is much easier if there is a situation to encounter in my mind’s eye. As for the resonation point, I must say that I am much better at discussing points after I have developed my own ideas rather than trying to figure everything out for myself. Basically, if I have trouble, I talk to Evans and we can usually figure things out together (he explains things I don’t get from the readings!). And so, I must retire. I do have to say that I made a huge error today in thinking that the movie viewing was tonight! Ahhh – must rest!
Sorry, Dr. A-
ReplyDeleteIt wouldn't let me post normally for some reasons since I copy and paste from Word - this has something to do with it?
The post seems to be fine - but yes, copying from Word can sometimes cause small glitches, although I haven't had trouble recently. And I very much hope that you get to see the movie. It touches on what you talk about here, insofar as the question of whether people can change/be changed is at play. It's an old question, but moral theories generally tend to assume that people can change. The perfectionist would say that the change is the emergence of a better, truer self, so that one could say that, at a deeper level, we don't change, but we might be hidden from ourselves, and as we get to know ourselves better, we outwardly change in response to the discovery.
ReplyDelete