Well it took me quite a deal longer (5 min or so) to pinpoint the specifics for this entry than I thought it would. But now that I have a topic, it will all be downhill from here. I think that most people in our society fail to communicate with each other, most especially when it is crucial to the relationship of the interacting people. I learned this lesson the hard way at my last job. Obviously I lost my job, but it was due to mis-communication (so my boss says). I truly believe that she wanted to fire me for a while and just needed the reason good enough to do so. Regardless, I had taken the money out of the register and put it in an envelope to take back to the safe. At the same time, all of the customers in the store decided they wanted to check out at the same time. So, as my boss is walking to the counter to ring someone up at the other computer, I slipped the envelope under the counter. (I know now that I should have just handed it to her, told her I had it, etc. and I might have been able to save my job, but that's the lesson I learned!) After we had finished ringing all of the customers up, she saw the envelope and looked inside, then told me, "Great! You left this money sitting here? That's just great!" So, of course I didn't get a word in edge-wise (she is quite the over-bearing female dog) and she fired me when the next girl came in. She just said that she had told me several times about leaving the money lying around (which she hadn't) and asked for my keys and told me I no longer had a job. So obviously you see there were many points in this storyline that proper communication could have saved the boss-employee relationship. It's actually quite ironic because while I was being trained to do everything in the store (I was immediately promoted to assistant manager when she hired me), someone would forget to tell me a key bit of information. So I would mess something up and she would blame it on lack of communication. Go figure lady!
I think that everyone has this problem to this day. We are afraid to talk to each other because we are afraid that the result won't be the one we want. Sometimes we are even afraid that we might hurt the others feelings or it will make us feel less intelligent just to ask questions or tell someone else what to do. I think that this violates the natural law in many ways and the individuality as genius. The natural law in that (in the case of my job) we should treat people as ends in themselves and basically, I infringed on that for both of us, resulting the way it ended.
It's kind of a stretch to connect these ideas together, but I meet this problem every day in my life and I need to think more about how other people handle the same situations with regard to me and how to better myself in making the best decision for myself without putting anyone else down.
Friday, June 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

An excellent set of observations, Kayla. The theme of communication will play an increasingly important role in class as we move forward. In particular, Hume stressed the vital moral role of conversation. For conversation to work well, one of the many virtues that one must have is courage. (We saw the problems that arose for the Bonner's when they didn't have the courage to speak up and/or hear each other out fully at home.) And the connections you are making are not a stretch at all - you sound like you already have your next paper topic.
ReplyDelete