Thursday, June 25, 2009

Blog 8

Okay, well I thought I was going to write my second essay on the point of educators giving the proper tools to help young minds find their true selves. But, today in class I changed my mind. The second topic that you explained in your blog made me realize that my skills would be much better utilized in discovering Nietzsche's true meanings. And possibly comparing/contrasting him to other philosophers. I really liked him and Aristotle and Epicurus. I guess when I start reading Nietzsche again this afternoon I will start to put together the puzzle. For me it's harder to talk abstractly about the philosophers unless I have concrete topics (pre-formulated questions and movies!) to talk about.

I guess it all comes back to me, after all. That's what the class is about, right? I do better when I explain and discuss, dissect.. whatever what I feel most comfortable doing. I know it will suit me better to stretch from what I am comfortable doing, but philosophy is a new thing to me and I don't feel that I have enough time during the rest of this class to do that with this particular type of learning and stretching my capabilities in that regard. So.. with that being said, I can definitely talk in my own words about what I read - sort of like I was bred, taught to do so through my previous classes unrelated to philosophy. Like I said before, in my AP English class about three years ago, we were told to write about a foreign concept (to us at the time in our schooling, that is) regarding an entire novel - using every concept of literature to explain this type of thing. Very vague, I know, but I was great at doing this. But! It definitely helped if I had thoroughly read, understood, and internalized the material and all of the underlying points. Regardless, I think that this type of writing will better suit my skills for this class.

1 comment:

  1. Focusing on fully understanding Nietzsche's true meanings is a worthy task, and Aristotle and Epicurus pose some interesting possible connections, so those ideas are worth following out. Mill would also be good, as would Beauvoir and the Cave. You might wonder: Does Nietzsche help us to understand how someone gets out of the Cave?

    And yes, the class is about you - but you must attend to your 'true educators.' Do talk about these things in your own words - translate them, as it were, into your own experience (something that Nietzsche explicitly endorses).

    I hope that it's going well.

    ReplyDelete