Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Just a thought...
I know there isn't an assignment for tonight, which is a great thing since Evans has band practice after he gets off work at 6. So while I'm sitting here waiting for the time to change into when I need to leave to pick him up, I'm contemplating what we discussed in class and the possible topics for my paper. (Btw- I just finished watching 'The Fall'. It's very cool with perspectives and storytelling and the psyches of the two main characters) So I was thinking about in class today, most of the philosophers talk about how society should be. Or even how, if we could create a brand new society, what it would take to make a good one for everyone and how everyone should be. But what about our society? There is no way that we can change our society with the numerous people that just don't care as much as we do about bettering ourselves and the people around us. So what do we do then? I guess that is why I am so concerned about in what way do I approach people about the many different problems I have with their character and the way they treat others. After all, (Rawls?) aren't we supposed to do what we can to prevent others from hurting another? That's all our society is and I would love to read more of the Beauvoir-type philosophers, although even she is a bit outdated on the subject, so you have to assume and apply her terms to the most modern situations. But regardless, it's not the best if only a few of us know what we and others should do, but we can't change the world or even our small communities if others are content with their lifestyles. I know that we need to show them that change is better and necessary and it's our duty if we know so, but you and I both know for a fact that some people (unfortunately even well-educated and even intelligent people!) think this "stuff" is ludicrous and worthless. So where do we go from that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'd not seen The Fall. I'd seen one of Tarsem Singh's The Cell and not cared for it and so avoided The Fall; it also didn't get much press. Now I've added it to my Netflix list. As for the idea of changing others: Rawls and Mill are very against the idea of a government doing that. However, individuals can do so, so long as they rely upon reasoning and persuasion (i.e., dialogue). However, one must typically look back to the ancients or, today, toward existentialists and writers and artists to find that attempt to challenge people, often by getting them to be discontented with their life as it is. (Sadly, politicians do this, too.)
ReplyDelete